9.21.2009

Regent Alum Now Author of Book Looking Toward Family Restoration


Jacqueline Rapp (Regent Law ’95), a Canon Law expert, serving in Fairdale, Kentucky in Rapp Canonical Consulting is now the co author of “Annulments: 100 Questions and Answers for Catholics.”

Read her personal and professional story, and the journey to authorship which God has taken her on to help others toward family restoration in the excerpt below:

When I completed my time at Regent (1995), I wasn't sure what I was supposed to be doing, but I knew that I was not called to go down the traditional law path. So, I took a year off and really sought God's direction. I looked into becoming a member of a religious institute (aka a nun) but that was not for me. The sisters there suggested that I study canon law and they directed me to St. Paul University in Ottawa, Canada (which is one of only two faculties of canon law in North America). I had to take a few theology classes at St. Michael's College at the University of Toronto, but I started my canon law studies in the fall of 1996. I completed those studies in May of 1998, graduating with highest honors, and began working with the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Louisville as a canon lawyer for the Archbishop of Louisville. I eventually moved up to become the Assistant Director of the Metropolitan Tribunal.
It was soon after I moved to Louisville that one of my priest co- workers introduced me to the man who would become my husband in November of 1999. When I became pregnant with my first child, my husband and I spent much time in discernment trying to figure out what I would do with my career. We prayerfully came to the decision that I would quit working in an office and would begin working as an independent contractor, which I did in July of 2002. I was told by many that I was throwing my career out the window and that I was rendering my education worthless.
Since then, I have had a second daughter and have continued to work from home. I now work for several Catholic dioceses across the United States, write for different online periodicals and magazines, while teaching about marriage and the rights and obligations of the Christian faithful in different parishes and dioceses. In October, my first book is being released by Servant Publications entitled "Annulments - 100 Questions and Answers for Catholics" that I co-wrote with a classmate from my canon law studies, Peter Vere. I find it to be most interesting that had I stayed in my full-time job with the diocese that I would have still been sitting at a desk and working on marriage cases, but by choosing to follow what I believed was God's direction in my life, my career has taken off and I'm now a nationally recognized expert in the field of Catholic marriage.

No comments:

Post a Comment