2.27.2015

#FiredForFaith - A Fire Chief and a Cop Fired Over Marriage Views

Kevin Cochran, the Atlanta Fire Chief who was fired for his faith that informed his values on marriage, is fighting back and suing the city of Atlanta over his unjust termination.  Alleging the city terminated his employment because of his belief in traditional marriage.  See his recent interview at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVGVQhDg_lU&feature=youtu.be. The lawsuit, filed in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Georgia, Atlanta Division, states Cochran's was fired "solely" because:

…[Cochran] holds religious beliefs concerning same-sex marriage and homosexual conduct that are contrary to the mayor's and the city's views on these subjects, and because he expressed those beliefs in the non-work-related, religious book he self-published. See the full story at the Daily Signal at http://dailysignal.com/2015/02/18/former-fire-chief-sues-atlanta-mayor-firing-solely-beliefs-marriage/. 

 

Eric Moutsos, a police officer in Salt Lake City was fired after being ordered to march in the city's gay pride parade, and objecting based on his faith.   See more about his story at http://www.theamericanconservative.com/dreher/the-prophetic-eric-moutsos/.  He did not refuse to provide police security for the parade; he declined to march in it as an advocate.  "Two days later I was brought into one of the commander's offices. They took my badge and my gun for discrimination. My sergeant then drove me home and took all of my equipment, said I could not perform as a police officer. I thought I was in a dream. I was devastated," he said. "I have protected free speech events several times that I disagreed with. But I will protect them. I believe in the First Amendment — so much that even if I disagree with a particular message, I will still be there to protect it. Because without them being able to say what they want to say, I wouldn't be able to say what I want to say. It wasn't about protection or security. What I felt was that, 'You are going to be a participant and look like you advocate this particular cause. And I don't,'" he said. "We should be there to protect everybody's rights. But I felt the participation was a little much." Also according to the American Conservative, as stated by the police chief, refusing to march in a gay pride parade constitutes "bias, bigotry, or hatred" in his ranks.

 

No person should be fired for a view of marriage based on a personal faith in Jesus Christ.  People willing to stand for their views on marriage informed by that personal faith realize that marriage is essential to a foundation toward family restoration.

No comments:

Post a Comment