6.20.2023

Product of a Broken Marriage - A lesson learned

 

 


                    This guest post is from Regent Law Family Law student, Steven Ciskie:


In April of 2009, my life changed permanently when my mother made the decision to divorce my father after roughly 20 years of marriage (long story). After what felt like a rather long time, the divorce was made final in December of 2011 and my parents officially became another statistic in the unfortunate trend of divorce becoming a commonplace American activity. 

 

It's been almost twelve years since that unfortunate day and I would be lying if I told you that I'm still unaffected by it in some way. How could I not be? The trend of no fault divorce has left many in its wake and my family is unfortunately another casualty. 

 

That being said, my time in family law has shown me that my parents' mistake doesn't need to be mine. Rather, my formerly jaded belief in traditional marriage has only been reinforced and strengthened in part thanks to Professor Kohm's eloquent defense of God's design for Holy Matrimony in class and in her life. 

 

So, instead of dwelling on the past, as many others have done, I will instead use it as a valuable learning experience; I'll fight hard to keep what I love from falling out of my hands and not make the same mistake my parents did. I don't know if I would be able to start a trend, but at least one less divorce is a start. 

No comments:

Post a Comment