9.25.2023

Should Christians be in Divorce Law?

 


w?

This guest post is from Keri Ann Hedwall, Regent Law 2023:

This is a question I started asking myself from the beginning of law school.  I think it is so important in life to have your mind made up on things before being put into a situation where you have to make a quick decision.  I have been looking into what God says about divorce, and here are some of the things I found…

31It was also said, ‘Whoever divorces his wife, let him give her a certificate of divorce.’ 32 But I say to you that everyone who divorces his wife, except on the ground of sexual immorality, makes her commit adultery, and whoever marries a divorced woman commits adultery.”  Matthew 5:31-32

Therefore, what God has joined together, let no one separate. Mark 10:9

These verses, among many others I looked at, are very clear that God dislikes divorce and the sins that multiply as a result of it.  God seems to only “permit” divorce on the basis of sexual immorality or hardened hearts.

I have heard some people in the legal field argue that the choice to divorce is between the couple, and lawyers only take care of the legal aspects.  This is where I think the second verse is so important.  I think God is very particular and purposeful in the words He uses.  (All Scripture is God Breathed-2 Tim. 3:16) God says in Mark 10:9 “let NO ONE separate” not “let no husband or no wife separate.” This shows that others outside of the marriage play a role and can have an impact on the marriage. As lawyers, we would have an impact by helping to separate that marriage….

This is something I think all Christian Lawyers should consider.  At the end of the day, our choices in the legal field should not reflect our feelings or emotions towards our occupation but instead should reflect what scripture tells us, as we answer to God for our choices.

I think helpful areas in family law, however, include guardian ad litem work, mediation, adoption, and making restoration agreements.

No comments:

Post a Comment